How the not-for-profit sector can attract alternative funding sources and diversify income base.
A workplace giving scheme is an arrangement between a not for profit organisation and a business to enable the employees of the business to donate to the community organisation through the payroll system.
To become a recipient of a workplace giving scheme, your organisation must first have deductible gift recipient (DGR) status. Find out more about DGR on the Australian Taxation Office website.
Foresters Community Finance
Foresters Community Finance (Foresters) is a community development finance institution that employs social/community finance and social investment strategies to service and support people, organisations and communities who have limited access to mainstream financial institutions.
Foresters provide finance to non-profit organisations and social enterprises as an alternative source of capital to assist in achieving their goals be that asset building or enterprise development. Asset building and enterprise development are ways in which non-profit organisations and social enterprises can secure their financial future through asset ownership or building new and sustainable revenue streams.
With a long history in lending to non-profit organisations and social enterprises, Foresters has well developed insights into the needs of community sector organisations and provides loans that are specifically tailored for, but not limited to:
- Property purchase
- Refurbishment or extension
- Business development
- Equipment purchase
Note: There are other banking organisations that can also assist community organisations with finance.
Community Finance Portal
The Community Finance Portal is a web-based portal developed by Foresters in partnership with other community finance providers. It provides information to:
- Community sector organisations
- Social enterprises
- Non-for- profit organisations
- Individuals about community finance and social investment.
The Community Finance Portal aims to provide:
- General information on community finance as well as case studies on organisations and individuals who have accessed community finance
- Information on how to access finance and the different financial tools and resources available.
Social Traders is a social enterprise development agency which aims to support and encourage the establishment of commercially viable social enterprises in Victoria and nationally.
Social Traders works with government, community, business and research partners to:
- Raise awareness about social enterprise and demonstrate its benefits
- Open up markets for social enterprise products and services
- Increase finance available to start and develop social enterprises
- Build capacity of social enterprises to trade successfully through business development and other supports
- Support the coordination of social enterprise development in Australia.