Men's sheds provide a place for men to get together, work on common projects and contribute to their community.
2018-19 funding now open for applications
Incorporated not-for-profit organisations and local councils across Victoria can apply for funding in the 2018-19 men’s sheds $885,000 program.
Projects may include:
- Construction of a new men’s shed
- conversion of an existing facility into a men’s shed
- construction of an addition to an existing men’s shed
- modifications or upgrades to an existing men’s shed to address accessibility or occupational health and safety requirements
- minor projects to provide solar panels, power upgrades or air conditioning/heating systems
- other capital improvements to men’s shed facilities.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- Involve active management and participation by members of Aboriginal communities
- demonstrate a high level of need for the project in the community
- demonstrate capacity to enhance the health and wellbeing of members
- represent considerable value for government investment
- will address significant disadvantage in the local community
- support the inclusion of newly arrived migrant and refugee communities.
Aboriginal Community Organisations
Men’s shed funding applications involving active management and participation by Aboriginal communities are a high priority. Assistance with the grant application process is available, including support from the department’s Aboriginal Engagement Units. Flexibility around the grant requirements can also be provided.
How to apply
- Download and carefully read the ‘Grant guidelines’ and ‘Frequently asked questions’
- contact the Local Connections Team in your area (listed in the guidelines). They will discuss your proposed project with you and provide information on the application process
- it is recommended that you discuss your proposed project with the Victorian Men's Shed Association
- Aboriginal Community Organisations can obtain additional advice and support from Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc, phone (03) 9411 9411, email email@example.com.
Closing date for applications
Final applications must be submitted to the department’s Local Connections Team by 5pm Friday 8 June 2018.
Other support for Men’s Sheds
The Victorian Government provides funding to the Victorian Men's Shed Association to provide leadership and capacity building for men’s sheds across Victoria. In addition, a Field Officer project is underway in 2017-18, to further support the governance and viability of Victorian Sheds.