Men's sheds provide a place for men to get together, work on common projects and contribute to their community.
The Men’s Shed Program provides grants for the construction of new sheds and the refurbishment of existing sheds. Ongoing funding of $1 million per annum underpins the Men’s Shed Program. The Men’s Shed Program allocates this funding across three streams:
- Strengthening the sustainability of men’s sheds through the Victorian Men’s Shed Association
- refurbishing men’s sheds
- building new men’s sheds.
The 2018-19 funding round is now closed. The funding round prioritised projects that:
- Involve active management and participation by members of Aboriginal communities
- demonstrate a high level of need for the project in the community
- demonstrate capacity to enhance the health and wellbeing of members
- represent considerable value for government investment
- address significant disadvantage in the local community
- support the inclusion of newly arrived migrant and refugee communities.
Successful applicants in this funding round are expected to be notified in late August 2018.
Other support for Men’s Sheds
The Victorian Government provides funding to the Victorian Men's Shed Association to provide leadership and capacity building for men’s sheds across Victoria. In addition, a Field Officer project is underway in 2017-18, to further support the governance and viability of Victorian Sheds.