A neighbourhood house is where people can become involved in community events, find out about other services or activities in the area, join a class or support group or take up an activity for fun and enjoyment.
About the Neighbourhood House Coordination Program
The Neighbourhood House Coordination Program (NHCP) provides funding to over 350 neighbourhood houses and neighbourhood house networks across Victoria to:
1. Support the provision of community development programs and activities which lead to community-strengthening outcomes through:
- Supporting diversity by promoting community participation and inclusion
- Facilitating community development and capacity building in support of individuals and groups within communities
- Supporting life-long learning opportunities for people to improve their training and employment pathways and community participation
2. Support community development processes to address locally identified priorities and needs through:
- Community consultation
- Development of agreed community responses to identified priorities and needs
- Identification of partners and funding sources.
Minor Capital Works Non-recurrent grants
As part of the 2018-19 Victorian State Budget 36 neighbourhood houses will share more than $460,000 of funding through the Minor Capital Works Non-Recurrent Grants program.
26 neighbourhood houses will receive grants of up to $10,000 for minor works, equipment and communication technology upgrades and 10 neighbourhood houses will receive grants of up to $30,000 to implement small-scale infrastructure modifications to improve accessibility.
Minor works, equipment and communication technology upgrades recipients
- Bellarine Living and Learning Centre
- Braybrook and Maidstone Neighbourhood House
- Corryong Neighbourhood Centre
- Cranbourne Community House
- Creeds Farm Living and Learning Centre
- Creswick Neighbourhood Centre
- Deer Park Neighbourhood House
- Doveton Neighbourhood Learning Centre
- Emerald Community House
- Endeavour Hills Neighbourhood Centre
- Hallam Community Learning Centre
- Mill Park Community House
- Moongala Women's Collective Community House
- Torquay Community House
- Sunbury Neighbourhood House
- Stawell Neighbourhood House
- Springvale Neighbourhood House
- South Shepparton Community Centre
- Reynard Street Neighbourhood House
- Power Neighbourhood House
- Portarlington Neighbourhood House
- Port Melbourne Neighbourhood Centre
- Open Door Neighbourhood House
- Noble Park Community Centre
- Murray Avenue Community House
- Wellsprings for Women.
Small-scale infrastructure modifications to improve accessibility recipients
- Corinella and District Community Centre
- Godfrey Street Community House
- Goonawarra Neighbourhood House
- Lyrebird Community Centre
- Olympic Adult Education
- Orwil Street Community House
- Spotswood Community House
- St. Arnaud Neighbourhood House
- Tatura Community House
- Warracknabeal Neighbourhood House and Learning Centre.
2018-19 funding increase- closed to applications
Through the 2018-19 State Budget the Victorian Government has committed an additional investment of $21.8 million over four years for the Neighbourhood House Coordination Program for:
- Additional coordination hours to funded houses receiving less than 25 hours per week
- Increased funding to Neighbourhood House Networks to deliver additional hours of support to neighbourhood houses
- Coordination hours available to new or existing unfunded neighbourhood houses. Newly funded houses are listed below.