The Family Violence Risk Assessment and Risk Management Framework, also known as the Common Risk Assessment Framework (CRAF), helps practitioners from a wide range of fields understand and identify risk factors associated with family violence and respond consistently.
The framework comprises of six components:
- A shared understanding of risk and family violence across all service providers
- A standardised approach to recognising and assessing risk
- Appropriate referral pathways and information sharing
- Risk management strategies, that include ongoing assessment and case management
- Consistent data collection and analysis, to ensure the system is able to respond to changing priorities
- Quality assurance strategies and measures that underpin a philosophy of continuous improvement.
Framework manual, fact sheets and referral guide
The framework manual, fact sheets and reference guide have been designed to help practitioners to understand and identify risk factors associated with family violence.
The second edition of the CRAF manual, including practice guides 1-3 and fact sheets, are available in Related resources.
Referral option resources
Resources detailing referral options are available in the following websites:
Review of the Family Violence Risk Assessment and Risk Management Framework
Monash University recently reviewed the Family Violence Risk Assessment and Risk Management Framework on behalf of the Victorian Government.
The review is part of the Victorian Government’s response to the first recommendation from the Royal Commission into Family Violence. This called for a best practice framework, which reflects the needs of the diverse range of family violence victims and perpetrators. The Victorian Government would like to thank the 1,100 people and 127 organisations from all over Victoria who contributed to the review.
The review will inform the redevelopment of the Family Violence Risk Assessment and Risk Management Framework, which will be completed by 31 December 2017.
The following training is available:
- The eCRAF training module - provides core knowledge on the integrated family violence system, and how to identify and respond to a victim of family violence
- Common risk assessment framework training - designed to suit a range of professionals according to their level of engagement with victims of family violence.
For more information, see Child, Youth and Family Services training.